Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sawasdee Thai Restaurant

Don't let the location scare you! This is one of those "hidden gems" or "hole in the wall" restaurants that all your friends seem to know about, but don't bother letting you in on, until well into your 5th or maybe even 6th year of friendship, it's so special. It is located in a strip mall (and I'm using that term loosely here), next to the African Hairbraiding Salon and behind Chuck E. Cheese/Babies R Us. But, once you wander in from the wild noise of Capital Boulevard and the busy side street, you feel like you're in another world. They have these comfy little armchairs, decorated in what I can only assume is some Thai ethnic print for the 2 seater tables up front that make you feel like you're in some expensive, chi-chi restaurant in NYC. The lighting is low, there's beautiful music playing, the colors on the walls are vibrant, and it smells heavenly. In other words, you've entered another world - get ready for the ride!

I am fairly new to the world of Thai cuisine. I've always enjoyed it, whenever I've had the opportunity to eat it, but I've never lived anywhere before where there were good Thai restaurants nearby, so I didn't get to eat there very often. So, when I heard that Sawasdee was THE place to go, I was very excited to try it out.

For appetizers, we had the Ka Nom Jeep (Pork and Shrimp dumplings). They were steamed and served with some sort of sweet, hot sauce that totally changed the flavor and made them just perfect! The next time we visited, we had the Pinky in the Blanket (Shrimp roll). Shrimp inside some sort of wonton type wrapper, that were fried. Served with a sweet and sour chili sauce...very yummy, but I wouldn't order it again - a bit too greasy. I'm dying to try the Fresh Spring rolls with Shrimp, but my husband detests those, so I'll have to figure out something else to distract him with.

For my main course - I love Pad Thai and all those noodley based dishes, so I decided to try the Tom Yum soup. OH, WOW, that is my new favorite! It is chicken broth based, but has lemongrass as the main flavor. Filled with chicken, shrimp, veggies, of course noodles, and topped with peanuts. And, just a hint of spice. I think next time, I will ask for it to be a bit spicier. Definitely something I will get again and again!

We also tried the Tom Kha soup. Totally different from the Tom Yum soup, but so good, all the same! This one was coconut based, with mushrooms, lime leaves, shrimp and a spice I had never heard of before - galangal. Boy, did that galangal make all the difference! It was a fabulous flavor - kind of like ginger, but not nearly as bitter or overwhelming. Just delicious. And the lime leaves made such a flavor explosion in my mouth!

Cashew chicken was my dining companion's choice...he's not quite an adventurous eater. Even that was delicious. Tender, flavorful, full of spice and juicy to the last bite! Oh, and the rice they serve comes out in these adorable little shapes - star, butterfly, heart, flower, etc. A simple touch, but it adds to the whimsy for me! The next time, I believe he had the garlic chicken. Again - delicious, flavorful, garlicky. Perfect!

Their menu is varied and has something for nearly everyone. From the picky "I only like Chinese food" guy to the person looking for something exotic and spicy. The chef's specials change frequently and they have a wide variety of vegetarian dishes. Oh, and they offer the traditional levels of Thai spiciness...spicy, extra spicy and "make you cry".

The service is nothing short of perfect! What else would you expect in a place that makes you feel like you're in another world, from the moment that you step through the doors? And the prices are just right! Not to big, not too small!

Sawasdee Thai Restaurant
3601 Capital Boulevard, Suite 107
Raleigh, NC 27604
(919) 878-0049 Phone

No comments: